Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

    I have just discovered that my trusty OPPO dvd player will play SACDs and DVD-As. A little googling has caused me to wonder if these formats mean better quality recordings?

    ....and then analogue audio can become zeroes and ones, in many ways - not always matching the capability of the conversion process used.

    CD vs. DVD-A vs. SACD

    Is mp3 Killing Your Music? MP3 can be better than we often experience.
    Last edited by mah; August 5th, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I...where he suggested the upper and lower 3 dB down points should equal 400,000 when multiplied....IE 20-20k. 40-10k, or for low fi 80-5k. Otherwise the system would be either low end or top end heavy...
    Yes, I remember that one. The Rule of 400,000. It does seem to work.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

    All of the graphs I have ever seen only show the speaker's output with a flat input and with no equalization. I would like to see a graph printout after using a graphic equalizer to fix the high and low deficiencies of the Altecs.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    ... I would like to see a graph printout after using a graphic equalizer to fix the high and low deficiencies of the Altecs.
    That picture would be deceptively prettier than the actual experience.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Audio content across the frequency bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    ...he suggested the upper and lower 3 dB down points should equal 400,000 when multiplied....IE 20-20k. 40-10k, or for low fi 80-5k....
    Um-hum, octaves. the 4M aid just makes it easy to crunch odd numbers. Having known a few, my weak brain is familiar with the octave. 12,589Hz is just an abstract number. I can "hear" A4 in my head just by thinking it. Not so much with 440Hz.
    Last edited by bfish; August 5th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.